Friday, May 27, 2011

A Colorful Birthday

Recently, we had a colorful crayon birthday party for our Sweetbaby. While looking for invitations, I stumbled across this cuteness from Chica and Jo. They provide the template for you to add your party info. I got boxes of crayons at the dollar store, and then I wrapped them in scrapbook paper.



I then found several cake examples online and decided I'd give it a go (never made a b-day cake before). The cake was a simple, rectangular white cake. I made a delicious buttercream icing recipe from allrecipes.com, and the "crayon tips" are halves of ice cream cones. My Mom used to decorate cakes, so she gave me her decorating tips etc. I used the star tip for the cake and painted the colors onto the ice cream cones with a brush, some water, and cookie decorating icing.




Here's our fun, birthday garden flag. Typically, I sew one of these from a placemat (just the right size for a garden flag) but for this one I just cut the shape I wanted from some crayon fabric I found at JoAnn's. I hot-glued some curly birthday ribbon on the top and bottom and put a red "2" made from adhesive vinyl using my Cricut Create.



The kiddos had a ton of fun taking a whack at this crayon pinata in our front yard....okay, so they didn't want to share the bat. The hubster just threw candy when anyone took a swing. It was a hoot! You can buy this {here}.

Last, but not least...I made a super-fun balloon birthday wreath. This will be used yearly no matter what the theme! You can view it in my post on reusable birthday party decorations. Too cute!

Yay Link Parties!











UndertheTableandDreaming



5 Comments:

At May 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Stephani said...

Love the cake! That turned out too cute! And the invitation idea was really cute too!

 
At May 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger aggieam01 said...

Love this theme. And the cake turned out super cute. What a fun party!!!

 
At May 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Susan said...

Awww, that is so sweet! I love little birthday parties. I remember when my oldest little one turned two...sniff, sniff. You did a great job on the cake! Very nice.

Stopping by from the newbie party!

 
At May 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Paula~

Super fun party theme! The placemat turned garden flag...very clever. Would love for you to share by linking to my K.I.S.S. Blog Bash.

~Christina~

Drop By The Tattered Tag

 
At June 1, 2011 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Debbiedoos said...

That is colorful and so very fun. Thanks for sharing at my newbie party.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting Yay Home! I love hearing from you and feel honored that you'd take the time to leave a comment. I hope you'll visit again soon! Yay Home!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home