Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Yay Savings: The Write Plate

Today I'm joining the following link parties:


http://www.thethriftyhome.com



NightOwlCrafting



I remember when I was younger how I'd just roll my eyes every time my Grandmama would say, "Well, I could've made that for you." She was a wonderful seamstress with many other talents in the homemaking department, so she hated to see me spend money on things that she felt she could have created for me.

Example: Let's say I was at the mall and wanted this peasant dress for $98.00.


She'd use the famous statement on me and suggest a pattern like this one for $9.95, which can be purchased {here} and a trip to Hancock Fabrics.



It's funny how things turn out because here I am, much farther down the road of life than I was in those days, doing exactly what she did. I go into stores or to craft shows and see things I like or want and immediately begin thinking of how I can make it myself for a much better price.


Well, I recently visited one of my favorite gift shops and saw this plate I loved, called The Write Plate. The teacher in me loved the idea of being able to use dry erase pens to leave little notes for my family each day. The wheels began to turn....

The Write Plate: Cost=$39.99
Polka Plate 12" Square

I endeavored to craft myself one of these, but I wanted to know if a special type of plate was required for the dry erase marker to wipe off completely. I did a bit of research, and it seemed that any plate with a glossy finish would work. I went to Walmart and found a square plate for under $5. I then cut some black polka dots from adhesive vinyl using my Cricut machine. I tied a dry erase pen to it, and gave it as a gift!

I loved it so much I made myself an oval platter just like it, and it was so much cheaper than the $39.99 plate! Yay savings!

My Own Version of The Write Plate: Cost=Under $5

My Grandmama is a smart lady! ;-)


3 Comments:

At May 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM , Blogger ms t said...

just wondering - do you write a note before putting food on the plate or is this plate not used for eating at all? (the toxicologist in me wonders about how 'edible' dry-erase markers might be...)

 
At May 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Yay Home said...

It's not for eating on at all. It sits on a stand in a kitchen etc. and is just a cutesy item. Also, the vinyl isn't waterproof, so washing it in the sink wouldn't work. It's just for little notes, lists, etc.:-)

 
At May 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Wendi @ Project Purple said...

What a GREAT gift idea!
I'm also your newest follower.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting Yay Home! I love hearing from you and feel honored that you'd take the time to leave a comment. I hope you'll visit again soon! Yay Home!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home